Agaricus Blazei Murril Mushroom (Sun Mushroom) of Brazil
The Benefits of the Sun Mushroom:
We hear a lot about the so-called Sun Mushroom.
A few years ago, this food came into fashion, being even touted as miraculous. But what does nutrition have to say about the Agaricus Blazei Mushroom, popularly called “Sun Mushroom”?
Mushrooms are fungi from nature, consumed and appreciated by man for hundreds of years. Research carried out, mainly in Japan, showed that the A. blazei mushroom contains a substance considered antitumor, consisting of polysaccharides of the Beta Glucans type. In Brazil, some research institutions such as the Faculty of Medicine of Universidade Estadual Paulista – UNESP, Campus de Botucatu, SP, Brazil, are also conducting research to study the medicinal properties of the A. blazei mushroom in combating cancer.
The main active components present in the fungus would be Beta-D-glucan polysaccharides, ribonucleic acid, heteroglucan, xyloglucan, lecithin, etc. Introduced into white blood cells, these elements would release antibodies that destroy or prevent the proliferation of cancer cells. The presence of natural steroids (ergosterol) is also relevant in its anticancer action.
These beta-glucans, active ingredients of the Sun Mushroom, are scientifically recognized as aids to the immune system. Highly proteinaceous, this mushroom is a source of almost all amino acids and rich in vitamins: thiamin (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), cobalamin (vitamin B12), pantothenic acid, biotin (vitamin H), folic acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), tecopherol (vitamin E) and Kinona (vitamin K).
The components of this food are also recognized by stimulating the production of new defense cells in the body, such as B cells, which produce antibodies (immunoglobulins – humoral immunity); T cells, which attack bacteria and viruses directly (cellular immunity), and natural killer (NK) cells, which attack any harmful invasion, and represent 15% of white blood cells.
Mushroom, in addition to being an excellent food supplement, is indicated to assist in the treatment of the following cases:
- Cancer: Effects on the control and prevention of different types of Cancer. Helps in the negative effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy;
- Circulatory system diseases: Hypotensive effect;
- Immune System: Natural Killer Cell;
- Urinary system: Cystitis, Nephritis, Kidney failure, prostate problems;
- Other diseases: Allergy, High Cholesterol, Diabetes, Breast Inflammation, Menopause, Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Eczema, Bursitis;
- Circulatory System: Treatment of leukemia, malignant lymphomas, lymphoma caused by Hodgkin's disease, myocardial infarction, arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, hypertension, hypotension, and vasoconstrictor disease;
- Digestive System: Colon disease, bowel disease, pancreatic disease, hepatitis A, B, C, gastric cancer, ulcer, loss of appetite and hemorrhoids;
- All types of diabetes;
- Endocrine Glands: Hyper/Hypothyroidism;
- Osteoporosis: It stimulates the bone, producing ergosterol, an excellent bone medicine;
- Respiratory System: chronic bronchitis, asthma, lung cancer and pneumonia;
- Female Diseases: Breast cancer, ovarian cancer, menstrual disorder, menopause, fibroids and polycystic ovary;
- Stimulates the production of red blood cells. Rich in vitamin B12, folic acid and iron;
- Skin: Utopian dermatitis, athlete's foot and skin cancer;
- Others: Chronic rhinitis, arthritis, HIV and rheumatism.
Cautions and warnings:
Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children up to 3 (three) years old should only consume this product under the guidance of a nutritionist or doctor.
KHOURY, D.E. et al. Beta Glucan: Health Benefits in Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome, Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, 2012.